Tuesday, October 14, 2008

"Last Day of Being 4"

Birthday has been on Davis' mind for the last couple of days, we have to go over how many days or "weeks" as he says it, his birthday is away. Today I said to him a couple of times, a five year old this, or a five year old that and he would respond to me, "I am not five yet". Davis has told me how I will sing Happy Birthday to him when he wakes up in the morning. We have also discussed at great detail his Birthday party, (I haven't quite broke it to him that we are only having a family party, not a friend party), who will be invited, and who will not, and if they are not invited than they have an "X" on their name. (Not sure who has an "X"). Tate gets invited and uninvited several times a day, depending on Davis' mood. He tells Tate that he has to stay downstairs during the party, and then clarifies with him that the party isn't downstairs, just in case Tate wasn't clear. He also tells Tate that he can only help with the music on Musical Chairs, which we played last year at his party, but not play. And then disgustedly he reminds me that Tate jumped on all the candy from the Pinata last year, and that is why he is not invited to his party this year!!!

Tonight when I was tucking Davis into bed, as I kissed him goodnight, he looked up at me and said, "Well, this is my last day of being 4!!" I laughed and said "yes it is", but inside my heart was breaking, I walked out of his room wondering where in the world the last five years have gone. I can not believe he is five!!!

As I look back on Davis' four year old year he had many firsts, his first swear words (oh, who I am kidding), his first set of stitches, his first broken window; when I asked him why he threw the ball at the window he said, "I just wanted to see if it would break!!!" (I think he got his answer), his first year of preschool with Miss Heidi (who he loves), and he became a big brother.

I sit here wondering what Davis' five year old year will bring, I am sure he will continue to say the funniest things and continue to make us laugh. It will also probably be full of more naughty words and gestures, and moments of pure frustration as he pushes the limits of our patience. This year will be a year of firsts, he will start his first year of baseball in the Spring, he will have his first day of Kindergarten next August and who knows how many other firsts that I haven't even thought of. Maybe he will even learn how to ride his bike (bad mom and dad, that darn battery powered Lightning McQueen!!).

So here is to Davis and his last day of being 4!!!! Happy 5th Birthday!!! We love you!!!

4 comments:

Goff family said...

Happy Birthday Davis! I hope we are still invited to your party and that we don't get an "X" by our names. Kennedi & McKinley would be sad, they can hardly wait to come! We love you and wish you a wonderful year!

Kelly said...

Allison, you should have started blogging long ago...You are a fabulous writer! I never knew you had that talent. Loved the post. Happy Birthday Tate!

Mindy K said...

Happy Birthday, cute Davis. Shizzle MaDizzle to you!! He's gonna be quite the five year old.

Annette said...

I love your posts!! I miss your boys.. they are so cute and funny!! Well, I miss you guys too!! :) Have a fun birthday!!!