Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Davis Tutorial

Everyday I learn more and more about my little Davis...


He is VERY into girls and how they look...
...at least we know he isn't gay...
He notices their hair, what they are wearing...if they are sexy or not???? I know, the horror...
He has tried to kiss one of his favorite babysitters, while she was tending...
that he is in love with...admittedly by him...he will not deny it...in love with a 14 year old!!!
Cute girl, he does have really good taste!!!
He had a dream the other night that he kissed Miley Cyrus...
...also in love with her....
He begged our good friend Jeff D to find him an extra ticket to the Miley Cyrus concert...and take him...expressed great jealousy to Jeff D, Tara and Gracie who were all going to the concert...
He is very eccentric and likes things a certain way and in a certain order...don't even think about messing that up...shoes have to be just so...socks have to feel just right...
He cares a great deal about how he looks, if his hair is done and if he looks good...
likes to look "sharp for the ladies"...direct quote from him.
He can swear with the best of them...in the right context and meaning...
He can get the craziest look in his eye...which means you have 1.5 seconds before he blows to get him back under control...if you don't it is usually distracting and disastrous...
most times reaches that limit during church.

But by far...starting kindergarten...Davis has shown me what we are in for, for the next 12 years. And to be quite honest...not sure I am going to live through it!!

In kindergarten the mom helpers work with the children reading...but before you can read in kindergarten you have to make sure they know their letters, upper and lower case, their sounds, then they have to blend, and then they start into reading little books. Davis having two years of preschool, knows his letters, sounds and was reading books last year. So I thought we would sail right through the letter recognition, the sounds, the blending and head right into reading books, just as Tate did.
Correction: Nobody tells Davis what or HOW, or on what time frame he will do ANYTHING!!

Davis passed off his upper case letters, on the first day...I didn't even second guess that the next day would be lower case, the next day would be sounds and by the end of the week he would be blending, ready to start reading books...but no, that is not how Davis sees it...

The second day he came home from school with a paper pinned to his back, standard procedure for sending notes home with kindergarteners. Asking that we help him practice the few lower case letters that night. I was appalled and could not believe it...I asked Davis what happenend why didn't you pass off the letters? I was sick...did he not know his letters??? I unpinned the note and looked at the letters on the paper...g, e, y...Davis, what are these letters, he gave it one look, aah g, e and y!!! With a puzzeled look on my face...I asked, you know these letters why didn't you pass them off...he answered very nonchalant...no big deal tone and response, I don't know!!! We went through 4 more days of this, everyday we would study and study...he knew the letters...I would send him off to school certain he would do it that day, only to have him come home and have another note, the second day, just the "e" to study, the third day, three totally different letters...everyday I would ask him the letters on the paper and he would tell me right off, wondering the whole time what the big deal was. By the 4th day, it finally clicked with him, and for a moment he seemed to care...and as he walked out the door that day...he turned to me and said..."I think I will get my badge today and pass these off!!!" And wouldn't you know it, he did...on his own time frame...when he deemed it important!!!

And that sums up my Davis, in most things in his life...this control freaking, worried that he is behind in some way, Mother...learns lessons everyday from him...it doesn't really matter how fast or slow he passes those things off...if in the end he learns how to read and he learns it so it makes sense to him, showing and proving to me...it isn't all about me!!!

No comments: