Thursday, September 17, 2009

Ty's Hourly Rate....

$280 Trophy Elk Permit...
$400+ Scouting trips...food and gas....
$400 Trip to Cabela's for Camoflauge gear...Binoculars...Hoochie Mama Elk Cow Call...
$200 in food and gas for "THE" actual hunt....

Endless hours of contemplating the if I's, or should I's, or will there be's....
$1200 Trophy Elk Shoulder Mount....
$50 Donation to Meier's Game Processing to give the meat to the homeless....

7x7 Trophy Elk and a GIANT smile on Ty's face.......

PRICELESS......


The long anticipated hunt is over...in the books...finished!!! All the months and days of anticipation leading up to the BIG hunt...were all summed up in about 2 hours and 15 minutes of hunting.!!!

Opening morning of the Trophy Elk Hunt that Ty has been waiting 15 years to draw out on were summed up in just over two hours. For weeks Ty has been panicing that in all the scouting he has done...he hadn't seen nor heard an elk yet...the weekend before the only hope he had in his heart was 7 wallow ponds that they had seen that had signs of Elk wallowing in them.

But he loaded up his gear Friday afternoon, kissed us all goodbye, and told the boys that it would not be the end of the world if he didn't get one...then coming over to me, kissed me goodbye and whispered, in pure desperation..."what if I don't get one", I assured him he would, gave him a kiss and told him, it wouldn't be the end of the world if he didn't get one!! But stop worrying, you will!!

And wouldn't you know it, Saturday morning at 8:15 he shot himself one of the Biggest Elk, I have ever seen. 7x7 perfectly symmetrical Trophy Elk!!! The story is for him to tell, and I just might convince him to blog it...but if you get a chance it is worth hearing...and worth seeing the GIANT smile on his face when he talks about it!!! The more we learn, the more we are finding that getting a PERFECTLY SYMMETRICALLY 7 Point Elk is pretty unusual. Usually they have random points or drop downs. This is a beauty and rather large!!!

Ty has already loaded her up and taken it to be Shoulder Mounted Elk Head...I know, I know the horror of this "beast", as Davis calls it, hanging in my home. For years Ty and I have had a somewhat heated discussion of where it would hang, my first response...the garage...he angrily disagrees...my next response...the basement...Ty pauses and then usually gestures to the giant 20 ft. wall I have in my family room...I shudder at the thought...but then ultimately our discussion ends with me saying...we will worry about it when you get one... Luckily for me it will be at the taxidermist for a year...so let the argument continue!!!

But honestly and truely...I am SO happy he got one...it has made his year, his life, his whatever...I am so proud of him and love to see him gloat over his Trophy Elk!!!

If you are wondering what that 2 hours and 15 minutes cost me...Ty's hourly rate for that Trophy Elk Hunt is just under $1200 per hour.... But ....Ty's smile.....

PRICELESS......

( I apologize if this is not politically correct...but it's us...or maybe I should say it's Ty!!)

8 comments:

court said...

That is pretty AWESOME!! Congrats to TY! :) I will have to show Randy.
My vote is in the garage - they don't like to be inside... PLUS every man who drives by will see it when the garage is open. And, you know what happens then........ :)

Angie said...

Way to go Tyler!!! I am not much of hunter you know, but I must admit that its very impressive!!

Lisa said...

Very impressed Ty. And Ali, don't lose the battle as to where to hang. I say the basement is a good compromise.

Allison said...

"To my lovely wife thanks for the love and support. Thank you for getting me ready and affording me the opportunity to go hunting for 10 days even though I was only there for one night. Finally, thanks for letting me be a $1200.00per hour guy. I love you!

Love,
Tyler.

P.S. Doesn't that beast look great"

Colette said...

Pretty cool... That's definitely one of those "once in a lifetime" events. Congrats, Ty... that's awesome! :)

Allen said...

That bull looks grain fed,where did you shoot it, hells half acre!!!!!!!!

Swain Family said...

Oh, Patrick was oozing with jealousy! Congrats to Tyler! That really is impressive! Although, I am really glad it's you guys having the "discussion" and not us! :)

tara said...

that is one mean looking mofo.

I vote garage. then all the dudes can admire when they drive by.